Seeking Engineered Materials Companies with these Attributes:
- Sales $10 million to $50 million
- EBITDA: $2 million to $10 million
- Gross Margins: Manufacturers +30% or Value-Added Distributors +20%
- Products used in extreme temperatures and/or harsh environments
- Solve complex or technically challenging issues and provide customized solutions
- Technical expertise in design and engineering
- Critical applications, high-performance, zero-failure reliability
- Short-run or low-to-medium volume
- Customers purchase based on value, not cost
- End markets preferred, but not limited to: Aerospace, Construction, Electronics, Industrial, Marine, Medical, Transportation
MCM’s Engineered Materials Experience
ANDOVER CORP – Acquired in 2018, andovercorp.com, based in Salem, NH, is a leading manufacturer of highly engineered, thin film optical coatings and filters for aerospace and defense, semiconductor, environmental, medical device, astronomy and instrumentation industries globally.
RMB Products – Acquired in 2010, RMB Products, rmbproducts.com, is a rotational molder, rotational liner, and additive manufacturer of engineered thermoplastic products used in niche applications. RMB utilizes a proprietary binding agent to adhere thermoplastics to pipes, fittings, and other steel related products.
DEXMET– Divested, Dexmet manufactures precision expanded metals, foils, and thermoplastics primarily used as lightning strike protection on aircraft. Dexmet’s proprietary products are applied to the top adhesive layer of the composite aircraft.
AMREP – Divested, Amrep manufactures and formulates spray adhesives and specialty chemicals including aerosols, liquids and lubricants, professional cleaning and maintenance solutions, floor care, air care, grease and lubricants, herbicides and disinfectants.
CV Materials – Divested, CV Materials is a manufacturer of metallurgical powders, fluxes and porcelain enamel coatings.
ADVANCED CERAMICS – Divested, Advanced Ceramics is the world’s largest producer of boron nitride powders, shapes, and coatings, as well as other specialty ceramics.
- MCM Senior Operating Partner Mr. Harry Shimp (see bio here) served in General Electric’s High Temperature Materials Division for 10 years and has operated a number of engineered materials companies.
- MCM has relationships with Engineered Materials Executives who may act as integral members of future portfolio companies.
- MCM professionals attend the following tradeshows:
Attractive Industry Trends & Characteristics
- The drive for fuel efficiency has led to lightweight specialty materials in the Aerospace and Automotive markets
- Technological advances in the growing Medical market create a need for biocompatible specialty materials, sterile resistant adhesives, and surgical adhesives, to name a few
- The trend towards miniature electronic components spurs demand for engineered materials with rapid setting paces and extreme temperature resistance
- Niche products with unique performance enhancing characteristics enjoy higher than average profit margins and greater customer loyalty